Friday, December 6, 2013

Top 10 Friday : *CHRISTMAS MOVIES*

It's that time of year again when all those Christmas movies have covered the racks in Walmart, Kmart, grocery stores - pretty much every retail outlet. And you have to be careful. Watch out for those five movies for $5 deals. Those movies are usually awful and painful to sit through. However, I have put together a list of Christmas movies that will not disappoint. 
   Just a note - I will get a set schedule eventually, but I would have to say that my posts are going to be fairly sporadic for a while. 

CHRISTMAS MOVIES

10) Lethal Weapon - Granted, not a Christmas movie, per se. But, it opens during the Christmas season and Jingle Bell Rock is playing! Plus, who wants to miss out on Mel Gibson's butt back in the day (pre-crazy)?






9) Home Alone - I watched enough of this movie when I was a kid that I really do not care if I ever see it again. But when Bee wants to watch it, I cant help but sit down and watch it with her. It takes me back to when the movie was awesome and cute - when I was in fourth grade.




8) Scrooged - If you have never seen this Bill Murray comedy, you should! It's a dark, modern (OK - 1980s) take on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Murray plays a television executive who has completely lost touch with the Christmas spirit and who only focuses on his job. The Ghost of Christmas Present is played by Carol Kane is my favorite!


7) Polar Express - My mom got this for Bee a couple years ago and I didn't think I would like it. But, I found the story charming and I understood why it is a favorite among so many others. I particularly like the hot chocolate song. 





6) Batman Returns - Again, not exactly a Christmas movie, per se, but it was released during Christmas. And, unlike Lethal Weapon, the Christmas season stays throughout the movie. Despite many hard core fans' objections, I have always liked Michael Keaton as Batman and Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman is my favorite!


5) Bad Santa - NOT FOR CHILDREN! This movie is perfect for those who may experience a "Bah, humbug" attitude about the Christmas season. Or for those who want a good laugh. The first time I saw this movie, I laughed my ass off! It is wonderfully ironic and Billy Bob Thornton's performance as the bad Santa is hilarious!


4) The Nightmare Before Christmas - This came out when I was in high school. A few years ago, I saw a special edition of it and I snatched it up. Bee loves it! I love the twisted Tim Burton animation and the music. Danny Elfman always works well with Burton. The story is wonderful, as well! Jack Skellington is bored with Halloween and wants to take over Christmas. It's the ultimate clash of holidays!

3) How the Grinch Stole Christmas - I'm talking about the 1966 special that always played on the television during the Christmas season when I was a kid. (I guess it still plays now.) You know, the one with Boris Karloff. How fun is it! I still love the animation and the songs! You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch by Thurl Ravenscroft is a classic!

2) Mickey's Christmas Carol - I might have missed the Grinch sometimes when I was a kid, but I never missed
Mickey's Christmas Carol! It is classic Disney animation. The fate of Scrooge at his own grave - falling into a fiery pit - was scary for me at first, but I realized the story would not be complete without it. This, for me, is wonderful nostalgia during the Christmas season.

1) Gremlins - I know. It's not exactly the perfect Christmas movie. It does not have a wonderful lesson or positive Christmas message, but it has always been my favorite and I watch it every year. I loved it when I saw it as a kid and I love it still today. I still want my own mogwai as a pet!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to watch Scrooged this year and this reminds me I need to watch the OG Grinch as well!

    ReplyDelete